Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day Sixteen: June 21, 2010

I actually got to sleep in today! I also tried to catch up on the blog today, but that just didn’t happen. I know I'm going to fall so far behind that I end up posting when I get back. I did manage to re-organize/clean up the inside of the Jeep. The outside is filthy but that is what it's supposed to look like after 3,000 miles worth of driving! I checked out of the hotel around 10:30 and picked Rich up at the airport. He was in a good mood for someone whose plane broke down on the runway in Hartford, got put on a plane to Atlanta that didn’t land till nearly midnight, and got up at 5 AM to make sure he didn’t miss the connecting flight to San Francisco!

The drive to Barstow was long and uneventful, with the exception of the hundreds of wind turbines we saw on Route 58 on the mountain just before descending into the town of Mojave. We settled into the motel in Barstow and grabbed a nice dinner in town.

Tomorrow we are going to take Route 66 from Newberry Springs to Hickman via the National Trails Highway and the Oatman Highway. We have a lot of miles to drive in just a few days, so we will be forced to take the interstate for long periods of time. Hopefully we will have enough time so I can show Rich a good sample of the Mother Road!

No comments:

Post a Comment