Thursday, June 24, 2010

Day Fifteen: June 20, 2010

Today was a day of transition. It marked the end of one adventure and the beginning of another. Mike and I really enjoyed our stay at the Wig Wam, and I managed to find a few more photo opportunities before we checked out. It was time to leave the Mother Road and on to Forest Lawn Memorial Parks & Mortuaries to pay our respects to the godfather of heavy metal, Ronnie James Dio. Unlike the “dark” image he portrayed as the singer for Rainbow, Black Sabbath, and DIO, Ronnie was a Christian who was a strong advocate against child abuse, cancer, and many other issues/charities. Ronnie is one of my all-time singers (my nickname at ECS is…….DIO!) and Rainbow Rising is my all-time favorite album. Visiting his grave and saying a prayer was my way of saying thanks for the music. Long Live Rock ‘n’ Roll.

The trip from LA to San Jose was long and boring. The journey took us through some breathtaking mountain peaks and then hours of straight highway with farms on either side. At least we got to go through Gilroy, CA. Gilroy is the garlic capital of the United States. We even saw garlic ice cream signs…..

I got a call from Rich just as we were entering San Jose. His plane “broke” on the runway in Hartford and he wasn’t going to be landing in San Francisco until tomorrow morning. That was bad news, but I assured him it wasn’t going to affect our adventure!

The time had come to drop Mike off. It was hard to believe that 15 days had gone by so fast. We had such a great adventure and met so many wonderful people and we now have so many memories that will last a lifetime. I drove north and spent the night near the airport. Tomorrow Rich and I begin the return trip (Dudes on the Mother Road Part II) in Barstow and will be in Litchfield by the 25th for the Route 66 Festival.

Pictures from Day Fifteen

No comments:

Post a Comment